Thursday 1 October 2009

Postscript

On the 20/21st of September we had 21 mm of rain but since then nothing, so I am still pretty neurotic about the lack of water: in the last five months we have had 155 mm in lieu of the average 300 mm.  Still the days are shorter and not so hot, and most trees and shrubs will just go in to winter hibernation early if lack of rain remains, so should survive to fight another day. However looking round the garden following my last blog I have noticed survivors that I should have mentioned, most obviously the Fraxinus family.  We have not got any common or garden Ashes (F.excelsior), and I have always assumed this is because we are too dry, but that may be quite wrong. They are handsome enough trees, and grow quickly which can be an advantage. But it is a big family, and probably underused. I have sown with success Fraxinus ornus, the Manna Ash. It has quite spectacular flowers, rather similar to those of a sweet chestnut and at about the same time, i.e. early summer, but also quite smart leaves, which on my admittedly small plants have not wilted. I have also got Fraxinus bungeana and Fraxinus chinensis and am about to acquire Fraxinus sieboldiana, the latter with quite spectacular flowering, and all with promise of autumn tints.. The first two I have completely neglected, and they have received no watering, despite which they seem as right as rain!

I have also got many young specimens, not as yet planted out, of Alnus cordata, what we call the Italian Alder, but I see the French call Corsican.  I cannot speak for this year, but on past experience it resists the secheresse well, despite being an alder. It lacks autumn colour but it is a smart enough tree, especially so in winter when the catkins are attractive. Incidentally if anyone is interested in acquiring either this or Fraxinus ornus just get in touch (petergwyn@orange.fr) since I have got far too many for my own use.

Of the Acers, the only one alive - I exaggerate, but none look good - is A. oliverianum. This grows under oaks, so with some shade, but  on a south-facing bank so very dry. It is true that I have watered it a little, but I am still surprised how well it looks. I am sure that I have read some where that it resists dryness better than most acers, but I cannot find the reference. Still the proof of the pudding . . .

Other trees whose resistance to dryness seems to have been goodish this year would include the Koelreuterias. I have both K. bipinnata var. integrifolia and the more often seen K.panniculata, but have yet to see the former in flower. I would also include Diospyros virginiana, the American persimon/kaki, and Pistacia chinensis, both with good autumn colour, though mine are admittedly small, and have received some, though not a lot of water.

Meanwhile I am a little bit more optimistic about the garden here. I suppose what has pleased me most has been the so-called Prairie Garden behind the swimming pool. Amongst other things I am gradually getting it under control,  but what with the grasses and the gauras, along with at the moment, the Michaelmas daisies it has looked pretty good, at least from a distance. It still needs a bit more bulk, but I now feel that it is going to work. I am not so sure of my West-facing bed, sadly rather more south-west than west.  I thought that it was somewhere that I could have camellias, hydrangeas, and amongst the vivace, even phlox, i.e. I thought that it would remain dampish and reasonably shady and could take some moisture loving plants, because it is the only place in the garden  where it seemed possible. But this summer has rather destroyed this illusion, and it is time for a rethink. Rethinks are necessary from time to time, and as the season draws to an end, and with the big plant fairs such as Gaujac, will soon be upon us, perhaps now is a good moment to have them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment